Keys View is a fantastic vista that rests on the top of the Little San Bernardino Mountains and provides panoramic views of Palms Springs and the Coachella Valley. Its easy access by car makes puts this high on the list of things to do in Joshua Tree. From Keys View, you’ll be able to see the San Andreas Fault. You can also catch a view of Southern California’s two highest mountains, Mount San Jacinto and Mount Gorgonio. On a clear day, you can see California’s largest lake, the Salton Sea.
This lookout is vast and expansive, I’d recommend starting at sunrise here, or ending at sunset. I normally end our day here at sunset and photograph a perfect golden hour.
Parking is limited here so I do recommend coming early and being a little creative…
From the Joshua Tree National Park, Visitor Center enter the park on Quail Springs Road that turns into Park road once you enter the Joshua Tree National Park. Travel about 15 miles on Park/Quail Springs Road. Turn right on Keys View Road drive passed Cap Rock and travel about 5.5 miles till you reach the Keys View Parking lot.
- Address: The end of Keys View Rd
- Duration: 10-30 mins
- Activity Level: easy
- Terrain: Full Sun – Bring a hat and lots of water.
- It’s windy here dress appropriately. (Look for the palms springs wind farm)
- Parking is always hard. Arrive early for sunset.
- If you’d rather hike to a lookout, Ryan Mountain has sweeping panoramic views.